How can I follow clean eating?
- Eat four to six small, frequent, every two to three hours, everyday. Being a nurse anesthetist, it is easy for me to understand this concept. If you eat small, frequent meals throughout the day your body is going to utilize all the calories you intake for energy. If you are eating only one or two, 1000 calorie meals per day, even though you are still only consuming 2000 calories your body is going to utilize only what it needs for energy and store the rest as fat. Balance each meal with lean proteins, carbohydrates and fat to maintain a level blood sugar and prevent hunger. Eat lean proteins, whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and heart healthy fats.
- Examples of lean protein include fish, egg whites, chicken breast, lean turkey, and lean red meats. Examples complex carbohydrates, include steel cut oatmeal, sweet potatoes or yams, and 100% whole grains. Examples of healthy fats include, avocado, organic, natural almond butter or peanut butter, and coconut oil.
- Eat the majority of your carbohydrates as vegetables. Include lots of healthy, fibrous vegetables such as broccoli, green beans, asparagus. Only eat 2 to 3 servings of whole fruits per day. If you are trying to lose weight eat your fruit early in the day.
- Avoid ALL processed.Examples include chips, nachos, hot dogs, fried foods, desserts, candy, donuts, ice cream, soda, sugar, white rice, white bread, and any foods containing white flour.
- Avoid saturated and trans fats. If you are unsure if these are in the food you are eating regularly you can simply read the label. Examples of foods containing saturated and trans fats include butter and margarine spreads, packaged foods, fast foods, and frozen foods. Sorry no TV dinners!
- Replace sodas, juices and other high calorie drinks that give your body no nutritional value and lots of empty calories with water! Replace one meal per day with Shakeology to reduce cravings, increase satiety, aid in weight loss, maintain regularity, increase energy, and lower cholesterol and blood sugar.