I hear my clients or new contacts say all the time that they have to give up their coffee in order to do the 21-Day Fix or 21-Day Fix EXTREME so of course I did some research and I think that is a common misconception. You may have to give up some things but I don’t believe coffee is one of them.
I am a firm believer in balance and coffee just like anything else can be good for you in moderation. For starters, it is high in antioxidants and can be linked to a reduced risk of many diseases. It does, however, contain caffeine which is a stimulant that can cause problems in some people or disrupt your sleep. Below I have listed some benefits to drinking a cup of coffee or two!
1. Coffee Is High In Antioxidants & Some Essential Nutrients
According to Authority Nutrition, An Evidence based approach, “a typical 8oz (240 ml) cup of coffee contains:
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin): 11% of the RDA.
- Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid): 6% of the RDA.
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamin): 2% of the RDA.
- Vitamin B3 (Niacin): 2% of the RDA.
- Folate: 1% of the RDA.
- Manganese: 3% of the RDA.
- Potassium: 3% of the RDA.
- Magnesium: 2% of the RDA.
- Phosphorus: 1% of the RDA.
AND the average person who eats a typical Western diet actually gets more antioxidants from coffee than fruits and vegetables combined.”
2. The Caffeine In Coffee Can Enhance Brain Function & Boost Metabolism
Caffeine can support us in:
-Feeling more alert
-Improving our mood, reaction time, vigilance and general cognitive function
-Boosting our metabolism, burning more calories
-Increasing performance during exercise
3. Coffee May Reduce Our Risk of Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, Type 2 Diabetes & Liver Diseases.
4. Coffee May Lower Our Risk of Depression & Suicide
5. Coffee May Help Us Live Longer
I did notice in the article, many of these risks were lowered by drinking 4 cups of coffee per day and I do not believe that is moderation. I think 1 cup per day or a few times a week is a good balance and maybe we can have some of the benefits without the risks.
Now for the bad about coffee:
1. Caffeine Can Cause Anxiety and Disrupt Sleep
2. Caffeine is Addictive and Missing a Few Cups Can Lead to Withdrawal
So my answer to the question Is Coffee Good Or Bad On 21-Day Fix or 21-Day Fix EXTREME?!
I think it can actually beneficial to drink a cup of coffee once in a while when you are working your way through the 21-Day Fix or 21-Day Fix EXTREME. It is not the coffee that can be harmful to your health but rather what you put into the coffee.
I drink mine black with a tiny bit of stevia. I avoid adding sugar or artificial, chemical-laden creamer. Definitely avoid coffee from Starbucks or a local coffee shop unless you are ordering it black. These coffee drinks often contain hundreds of calories and a lot of sugar.
Ready to get started on your own health & fitness journey? Fill out the form below and I will contact you shortly!
[yks-mailchimp-list id=”f2d7cbe44d” submit_text=”Submit”]